Awards and Honors
Tony and former Boston Globe writer Mark Blaudschun at the 1999 Football Writers Association of America meeting. Tony was the outgoing President of the FWAA.
- 2017 Distinguished Achievement in Broadcast & Cable award, DiGamma Kappa Broadcast fraternity, University of Georgia
- 2016 Induction to the Grady Fellowship, University of Georgia School of Journalism
- 2009 Bert McGrane Award (FWAA Hall of Fame), Football Writers Association of America
- 2008 Edwin Pope Vanguard Media Award, Orange Bowl Association.
- 2007 Fred Russell Contribution to Sports Writing Award, All-American Football Foundation
- 2006 Jake Wade Award, College Sports Information Directors of America
- 2006 Alumni Achievement Award, Delta Tau Delta Fraternity
- 2006 President, United States Basketball Writers Association
- 2001-06, 2010-Present: Honors Court, National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame
- 2002 Furman Bisher Award for media excellence, Atlanta Sports Council
- 1999 Georgia Sports Writer of the Year, National Sports Media Association
- 1998 President, Football Writers Association of America